Hall. Antoine Faisendieu bought a lot here from Guillermo
Gros in 1803 and built a tavern, selling it in 1809 to
Pierre and Barthelemy Jourdain.
A subsequent 1812 sale
advertises a "house lately belonging to M. Faisendieu,
$4000 cash and two years of notes." In 1816, when
the Orleans Ballroom burned, this building also burned,
and according to an act of sale, the architects Gurlie
and Guillot bought the lot and rubble for $5000 in 1816,
selling the property to Agathe Fanchon, femme de couleur
libre, for $13,500 in November 1817.
Madame Fanchon owned the property until 1866. The service
wing and patio were home and office to the photographer
"Pop" Whitesell in the first half of the twentieth
The porte cochere house appears to be Spanish
colonial in style, simple and chaste in its anonymous
facade, with a wrought iron balcony and the remnant of
a terrace roof with tiles peeking out beyond the newer
pitched roof. The facade even has the Spanish style banding
bordering it. Like Madame John's Legacy , this building
seems to have been rebuilt or renovated afer thte fire
in the same manner it was originally built.