Pauger Street was first named Bagatelle by Marigny, and
this small house is an ironic little trifle for the visitor
to enjoy. The house and its owner-builder typify Faubourg
Marigny's inhabitants and their homes.
Jean Louis Dolliole,
a free man of color, entrepreneur, and leader in his social
community, bought the lot in 1820.
The plastered brick-between-post
five-sided house he built fits the curve in the street,
resulting in a double-pitch hip roof covered in its original
flat pan-tiles. Although buildings with tile roofs became
the law for the Vieux Carre after the fires of 1788 and
1794, few examples remain.
In the 1940's and 1950's a talented architect, illustrator,
and a man of letters, Lewis Clapp, owned the cottage;
he shortened the spires of French casement openings. Superdome
architect Arthur Davis subsequently renovated it in the