Soniat DuFossat house. Francois Boisdore, personne de
couleur libre, designed this as a two-and-one-half story
creole townhouse with a central porte cochere in 1829
for suger planter Joseph Soniat DuFossat, who had 13
children by two wives. The brick was exposed in the
The rear elevation once had a pair of
winding stairs, like the one remaining. The post-1865
owner renovated, enclosing the porte cochere, changing
the arched openings, and adding a cast iron gallery.
Now a National Trust recommended hotel.
Soniat DuFossat, who died in 1852,
was the second son of Guy Saunhac DuFossat, who came
to Louisiana in 1751 under Louis XV, married creole
Claudine Dreux, and stayed on during the Spanish colonial
days as Alcalde at the Cabildo. The family plantation
across the river was called Tchoupitoulas, acquired
in 1808 plantation house was used as the Colonial Country
Club until its recent demolition.
The National Trust Guide to